DAVAO CITY – Answering the call to help the Persons Deprived of Liberty (PDLs) especially in this time of the pandemic, the Association of Regional Executives of National Agencies (ARENA XI) donated essential supplies to the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology XI (BJMP XI) on Wednesday, October 28, 2020.
ARENA XI President and Department of Science and Technology XI (DOST XI) Regional Director Dr. Anthony C. Sales, CESO III, and ARENA XI Press Relations Officer and Philippine Information Agency XI (PIA XI) Regional Director Frances Mae G. Macapagat spearheaded the turn over of donations (composed of hygeinic kits, footwears, and other basic supplies) from the 24 member agencies of ARENA XI.
The initiative is in reponse to the request of the Presidential Management Staff (PMS) to assist in addressing the lack of supplies for the PDLs amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
“The Bayanihan spirit is more alive and meaningful now than ever and this can be best exemplified in our efforts to assist those hard hit sectors in our communities. In these trying times we must adhere to our innate tendency as Filipinos to extend a helping hand especially to our brothers and sisters deprived of liberty,” Dr. Sales said.
He also expressed his gratitude to the following ARENA XI member agencies for their assistance and contribution to this initiative:
1. Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources XI
2. Bureau of Treasury XI
3. Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines XI
4. Commission on Audit XI
5. Commission on Higher Education (CHED) XI
6. Commission on Human Rights XI
7. Commission on Population and Development XI
8. Civil Service Commission XI
9. Department of Agrarian Reform XI
10. Department of Budget and Management XI
11. Department of Education XI
12. Department of Energy XI
13. Department of Public Works and Highways XI
14. Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) XI
15. Department of Science and Technology XI
16. AFP Eastern Mindanao Command (to be collected)
17. Presidential Commission for Urban Poor- Mindanao Field Office
18. Presidential Management Staff XI
19. Philippine Fiber Industry Development Authority XI
20. Presidential Commission for the Urban Poor – Mindanao Field Office
21. National Commission on Muslim Filipinos (to be collected)
22. National Economic Development Authority
23. National Intelligence Coordinating Agency XI
24. National Irrigation Authority
“On behalf of the whole ARENA XI, thank you for your generosity. We hope to continue this great work even without the pandemic. I believe that even a small gesture of kindness will very well go a long way to give hope to our people that we can get through this pandemic together,” Dr. Sales said.
Director Macapagat also underscored that the activity is another proof of the Bayanihan spirit that President Rodrigo Duterte highly emphasized as the main battle cry of the Filipino people fighting this pandemic.
“In this activity, we are not just ensuring to deliver our respective agency mandate, but we are going an extra mile to address and help one vulnerable sector which is the PDL,” Dir. Macapagat added.
Along with the ARENA XI donations, the DSWD represented by Assistant Secretary for Disaster Response and Management Group, Rodolfo M. Encabo led the turnover of 4,000 pieces of pails filled with supplies from their agency. CHED also tapped the Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) and conducted a separate turnover.
“We convey our utmost pleasure and gratitude to this initiative made possible through the effort of the PMS and the active support of ARENA XI,” BJMP XI Assistant Regional Director, JSSUPT Ferdinand D. Pontillo said, pointing out that the effort is in time with the celebration of the 25th National Correctional Consciousness Week.
The activity was graced by PMS Assistant Secretary for Regional Concerns, Joseph B. Encabo.
DOST XI S&T Promotion